CITY OF OMSK
The city of Omsk is situated on the territory of Middle Priirtysh’e (Middle Irtysh River basin). More than 14
thousand years ago people started to settle in this land. Ancient people settled along Irtysh River, which was
guiding point for the moving of tribes during ancient times. The undertaken archeological excavations proved
that hunters and fishermen lived here.
History of the exploration of the Irtysh River basin by Russians is related to the name of legendary Cossack
leader Yermak, who annexed Siberia with its native population to Russia in 16th century. In 17th century
Russian farmers and Cossacks started to settle in Siberian territory. The entire 18th century was marked by a
keen fight against Siberian nomadic tribes.
In 1716 military expedition of Lieutenant Colonel Ivan Bukholts sent by the order of Tsar Peter the Great to find
gold and furs founded the first wooden fortress at the mouth of Om River. Later this fort became the
administrative, political and cultural centre.
OMSK OIL REFINERY
The decision to build the first in Omsk in Siberia Oil Refinery has been accepted by the Government of the
USSR in 1949. Creating a center of Western Siberia such enterprise was necessary to ensure full fuel and
lubricants, the region and the neighboring Urals, Kazakhstan and other territories. The raw material for the
steel processing oil from the fields of Bashkortostan.
The refinery commenced operations in September 1955 with a processing capacity of three million tons per
annum (mtpa) of crude oil. The current processing capacity of the refinery is 19.5mtpa.
In the first decade of the Omsk refinery was built more than 50 processing plants. First, the plant annually
processes 3 million tons of raw materials mined in Bashkiria, and since 1964 the company started to receive
Siberian oil. She drove river tankers, and then let the pipeline "Ust-Balik - Omsk." The opening of the Tyumen
oil fields has given a new impetus to the development of the enterprise and made it a leader refining.
The refinery initially processed feedstock from Bashkortostan. From 1964, the refinery started processing
feedstock from oil fields in Siberia. Feedstock was delivered by tankers and later through the Ust-Balik-Omsk
pipeline. Major products of the refinery include petrol, diesel, fuel oil and jet fuel. The refinery also produces a
range of aromatics, liquefied petroleum gases, lubricants, additives and catalysts.
INFRASTRUCTURE OF THE REFINERY
The refinery includes a deep conversion complex, an aromatics complex, alkylation facilities, offsites, storage
tanks and other facilities.
The deep conversion complex includes a vacuum distillation unit, vacuum gas oil hydroteater, fluidised
catalytic converter, visbreaking unit, methyl tertiary butyl ether unit and sulphur and hydrogen production units.
It became operational in 1994 enabling the refinery to process heavy oil and increase oil conversion rates to
The aromatics complex includes 11 process units - a fine fractionator, hydrotreater, platformer, extractor,
paraxylene unit, xylenes isomerisation unit, aromatics transalkylation unit and toluene thermal
hydrodealkylation unit. The main process unit in the complex is the platformer featuring catalyst continuous
regeneration. The aromatics complex produces a range of aromatics at the highest purity ratings in the world -
benzene (99.98% purity), paraxylene (99.95% purity) and orthoxylene (99.6% purity).
EXTENSION / DEVELOPMENT PROOPOSALS
In 2010, a new naphtha isomerisation plant called lzomalk-2 was commissioned at the plant. The 800,000tpa
unit produces isomerizate with zero sulphur, aromatic and unsaturated hydrocarbons content.
It enabled the refinery to commence production of high-octane gasoline of the Euro 4 standard in March 2011
and of Euro 5 standard in July 2011.
A new unit for producing bitumen was commissioned at the refinery in October 2010. It has the capacity to
produce 10,000l of polymer-bitumen binders and 3,000l of bitumen emulsions annually.
The main component of the $500m investment programme is the construction of a diesel hydrotreater and
catalytically cracked gasoline hydrotreatment complex. The diesel fuel hydrotreater will have a capacity of
3mtpa and the catalytically cracked gasoline hydrotreater will have a capacity of 1.2mtpa.
Construction of the new units commenced in 2010 and is expected to be completed by 2012. With the
completion of the new units all products of the refinery will comply with Euro 4 and 5 standards.
The programme also includes restructuring of the deep conversion and alkylation facilities which will improve
the quality of the products and increase efficiency. The air / nitrogen plant will also be upgraded and a heavy
petroleum products tank farm, LPG tank farm, H2S and alkali tank farm will be added.
Construction of feed storage facilities for bitumen and coke production and modification of waste water
treatment facilities is also part of the programme. This will improve the health, safety and environmental
standards of the refinery.
The main technological processes used at the Omsk refinery are deionisation and dehydration of oil, crude oil
distillation, catalytic cracking, sulphuric acid alkylation, catalytic reforming, diesel hydro-refining, and
production of aromatic hydrocarbons.
The Omsk facility produces in the order of 50 types of oil products, including high-octane gasolines, diesel and
marine (bunkering) fuels, aviation kerosene, bitumen, household gas, fuel oil, industrial sulphur, and other
products consistent with market demand.